Are you thinking of becoming a blogger? Well, I’ll admit that it isn’t 100% fun and games. It isn’t easy and for some reason a lot of people seem to think that it is. However, blogging has a lot of perks and positives that I am going to breakdown in this blog post so keep reading.
Pros and Cons of Being A Blogger
- Ultimate Creative Freedom. This is MY website. This is MY little space on the internet. I can literally do and say whatever I want. Do I have a niche? Slightly. Do I have responsibilities and things to brands and whatever? Sure. But I can work on what I want, how I want. I can post as little or as much as I want and I love that with every fiber of my being.
- Flexible hours. Another really awesome thing about blogging is how really wonderful it is to be able to make your own hours. I blog when I can and that flexibility is the dream when you do as much as I do.
- You meet awesome people. The people I have met in the blogging community have been completely wonderful! I have made a lot of blogging friends and they have all been great inspiration and made great progress in my life.
- You can make passive income. Passive monies. Nothing sounds better than making money in your sleep, right? Well, that’s one of my FAVORITE things about blogging. Pinterest and Affiliate Programs make it so simple for me to make money without even looking at my blog.
- Low-cost start-up. I started this blog absolutely free. As it grew and I took it more serious I did make expenses, but compared to almost every other business I have looked into and/or started it is by far the most affordable. I started this blog from my phone… from my phone you guys and did everything I do now from my cell.
- You work really hard for little return sometimes. In other words, this is NOT get rich quick scheme. You will have to invest a LOT of time into this and it won’t always pan out.
- Can be very lonely. This doesn’t hit me as often as other bloggers, but it does hit me. You do a lot of, if not all, your work on your own. And sometimes that can get lonely. I make a lot of virtual friends but in the beginning, I spent a lot of time writing alone in my bedroom or kitchen and had nobody to share that with other than the internet after it was completed.
- SEO SUCKS. I don’t care what anyone says. SEO gets on my last nerve. It is so tedious and frustrating but important to having a truly successful blog!
- You’re an influencer… so you gotta watch what you say. I have learned lately that ever since I made myself a public figure, I have put a target on my own back. I have had instances where I was attacked on social media. I had a YouTube subscriber call my phone without me giving them my number. I had someone email me a long, hateful, letter based off of something I said that I thought was completely innocent. So these are things you have to consider because people do hold you to a certain kind of unfair standard.
- Technology sucks. I really am not a technical person and if you aren’t a coding expert, let’s just say this may get a little frustrating to you too. Best option and my advice? Get all the website designing, coding, and other to someone else. If you can’t afford it, then I would suggest you be prepared to learn a lot about website design that you didn’t expect if you want your website to look professional (says the girl who has the MOST simple website design in all of the world and put almost no effort into it).
Being a blogger is GREAT and I can’t imagine myself ever giving it up. I think that the pros GREATLY outweigh the cons, but no job is perfect and my cons could very well be bad enough for some that it becomes not worth it.
Are you a blogger? What are some pros and cons that you can think of?