I have been talking about waking up in the morning a lot lately, I know. But as a girl boss currently on her entrepreneurship journey while working a regular job, I have found a lot of other girl bosses talk about waking up early. So I decided to give it a try myself. It made a HUGE impact on my life and how I run my business.
However, I am constantly running into naysayers who want to get their business up and running but fail to see the benefit in waking up early. I am not talking about thirty minutes earlier although that is a good place to start. I am talking about waking up at 7AM, 6AM, and even 5AM in the morning. I haven’t gotten to the place where I can wake up at 4AM… YET!
So, why do I wake up so early and how does that help me? Well to name a few…
Benefits of Waking Up Early
- Your sleep will be more satisfying. I have always loved sleep and I know that loving sleep is a big excuse for people who don’t want to get up early in the morning. But you haven’t slept until you’ve woken up at 5AM and spent your day working your job, your business, and trying to squeeze in self-care. The sleep you get after that kind of day is UNPARALLELED.
- You can take your time starting your day off right. One thing about getting up hours before you have to go to work is you can take your TIME getting ready and getting yourself together for the day. You can spend time exercising and moving around at your own pace to get your morning routine out of the way (you can see my post on the morning routine for success here). You don’t have to worry about getting to work on time or having to get your family together.
- NO OTHER PEOPLE WILL BE TALKING TO YOU. When you wake up early in the morning before even the sun comes out, you can have time just for yourself to have some privacy and start your day how YOU want to start your day. This is perfect for those of you out there who aren’t natural morning people. Start your day without having to immediately deal with people. Nobody will be nagging you or asking you to do things. Nobody will be blowing up your phone or sending you emails. When I wake up in the morning can meditate in complete peace. I love spending the first few hours of my day in solitude deciding FOR MYSELF how I am going to feel that day with zero outside influence. My boyfriend doesn’t even get up as early as I do…
- Increase in productivity. With all of that extra time in the morning, I get LOADS done. I wrote this blog blog post at 6:30 AM. There’s no distractions. No buzzes. I can focus on tasks at hand and I get so much done. By the time everyone is waking up and getting themselves ready for their day, I already tackled half of the things on my to-do list for my business, blog, and YouTube channel. I can work on scheduling my client’s posts in the mornings. I can edit videos. When you have that start, your entire day tends to continue with that same energy and you’re just as productive for most of your day (at least it’s that way for me. I don’t start to shut down until around 4PM).
- Bragging rights. I can’t lie, this is pretty much my favorite benefit of waking up at 6AM. How many 23 year old girl bosses do YOU know that wake up this early (not including the ones that have to be at work at like 7AM). I am proud of myself for doing what the rich gurus say to do and what most of my peers don’t have the discipline to do. It sounds good saying you wake up early in the morning getting things done when everyone else is sleeping.
I love being able to claim I am a morning person. To be honest, I am a lot happier this way than sleeping in until the last second, especially once I wiped out all of those trash morning habits I had (can read more about that here). Waking up early can pretty much change your entire life for the better. I know if you’re not a morning person you are probably rolling your eyes. I have even seen people make ENTIRE blog posts bashing people like me for crediting mornings to our success. And I will admit I used to love those posts because I didn’t want to have to get up early int he morning myself, but then I decided to do something different because I wanted a different life. And now… I am a PROUD morning person (sort of).
Are you a morning person? If you are, are you a NEW morning person or did you have to BECOME one? Leave your comments down below!!