Benefits of Waking Up Early

I have been talking about waking up in the morning a lot lately, I know. But as a girl boss currently on her entrepreneurship journey while working a regular job, I have found a lot of other girl bosses talk about waking up early. So I decided to give it a try myself. It made a HUGE impact on my life and how I run my business.

However, I am constantly running into naysayers who want to get their business up and running but fail to see the benefit in waking up early. I am not talking about thirty minutes earlier although that is a good place to start. I am talking about waking up at 7AM, 6AM, and even 5AM in the morning. I haven’t gotten to the place where I can wake up at 4AM… YET!

So, why do I wake up so early and how does that help me? Well to name a few…

Benefits of Waking Up Early

1. Your sleep will be more satisfying. I have always loved sleep and I know that loving sleep is a big excuse for people who don’t want to get up early in the morning. But you haven’t slept until you’ve woken up at 5AM and spent your day working your job, your business, and trying to squeeze in self-care. The sleep you get after that kind of day is UNPARALLELED.
  2. You can take your time starting your day off right. One thing about getting up hours before you have to go to work is you can take your TIME getting ready and getting yourself together for the day. You can spend time exercising and moving around at your own pace to get your morning routine out of the way (you can see my post on the morning routine for success here). You don’t have to worry about getting to work on time or having to get your family together.
  3. NO OTHER PEOPLE WILL BE TALKING TO YOU. When you wake up early in the morning before even the sun comes out, you can have time just for yourself to have some privacy and start your day how YOU want to start your day. This is perfect for those of you out there who aren’t natural morning people. Start your day without having to immediately deal with people. Nobody will be nagging you or asking you to do things. Nobody will be blowing up your phone or sending you emails. When I wake up in the morning  can meditate in complete peace. I love spending the first few hours of my day in solitude deciding FOR MYSELF how I am going to feel that day with zero outside influence. My boyfriend doesn’t even get up as early as I do…
  4. Increase in productivity. With all of that extra time in the morning, I get LOADS done. I wrote this blog blog post at 6:30 AM. There’s no distractions. No buzzes. I can focus on tasks at hand and I get so much done. By the time everyone is waking up and getting themselves ready for their day, I already tackled half of the things on my to-do list for my business, blog, and YouTube channel. I can work on scheduling my client’s posts in the mornings. I can edit videos. When you have that start, your entire day tends to continue with that same energy and you’re just as productive for most of your day (at least it’s that way for me. I don’t start to shut down until around 4PM).
  5. Bragging rights. I can’t lie, this is pretty much my favorite benefit of waking up at 6AM. How many 23 year old girl bosses do YOU know that wake up this early (not including the ones that have to be at work at like 7AM). I am proud of myself for doing what the rich gurus say to do and what most of my peers don’t have the discipline to do. It sounds good saying you wake up early in the morning getting things done when everyone else is sleeping.

I love being able to claim I am a morning person. To be honest, I am a lot happier this way than sleeping in until the last second, especially once I wiped out all of those trash morning habits I had (can read more about that here). Waking up early can pretty much change your entire life for the better. I know if you’re not a morning person you are probably rolling your eyes. I have even seen people make ENTIRE blog posts bashing people like me for crediting mornings to our success. And I will admit I used to love those posts because I didn’t want to have to get up early int he morning myself, but then I decided to do something different because I wanted a different life. And now… I am a PROUD morning person (sort of).

Are you a morning person? If you are, are you a NEW morning person or did you have to BECOME one? Leave your comments down below!!

31 Comments

1. Kari | ConnectWK on 04/22/2019 at 10:30 am

Great article! I’m still working on getting up early myself, because I know how much more productive I could be if I did. I love the point about “noone talking to you.” I think that’s my favorite part about it. Haha! Thank you for sharing…this just motivated me to get up and start working. Ha!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/22/2019 at 4:50 pm

I am glad I could motivate and inspire hon! Thanks so much for reading!

2. Naomi (Inching Forwards) on 04/22/2019 at 10:36 am

This is a great post, and I really do agree that getting up early is great for productivity. I don’t currently manage to do much before work (although I do usually go in for 8am), but I definitely see the benefit of doing lots of work earlier in the day. In fact, the reason I get into work for 8 is so that I can be productive in the morning, as I have a tendency to slow down and get sleepy post-lunch. You’ve definitely inspired me to try getting some blog stuff in before work though!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/22/2019 at 10:54 am

Girl I am a post lunch outer myself! Hopefully trying to get some things done earlier in the morning will prove beneficial for you! Thanks for reading!

3. Snehal on 04/22/2019 at 10:53 am

Ahh I am not a morning person but I have been getting up early these days. And it made me more productive. 🙂

• cherishingflo101 on 04/22/2019 at 10:55 am

I understand not being a morning person but that makes it even more impressive that you disciplined yourself in order to get things done in the mornings!!

4. artchee on 04/23/2019 at 1:13 am

I usually wake up around 5 AM. I just like the fact that I wake up before the sun rises. :0) It also feels that I can do a lot more if I wake up early in the morning.

5. Brianne Tursi Manz on 04/23/2019 at 8:20 am

I’ll have to say, I agree with number 3! I like getting up before everyone else, just so I have that time to myself to just not think about too much, except how good my coffee is! I don’t mind getting up early. Weekends were made for sleeping in (sometimes)!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/23/2019 at 3:53 pm

I agree about sleeping in on weekends! I have zero alarms set for the weekend because I wanna get just uninterrupted snores lol

6. KeshiaRichmond on 04/23/2019 at 8:23 am

I have always been an early riser. In fact, as a child, we were not allowed to sleep in. So I understand how this habit can be very beneficial.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/23/2019 at 3:54 pm

As a child, I wasn’t a morning person. But I got a job where I had to be at work at 5am and that kind of turned me into one even long after quitting!

7. Emmanuel Damian on 04/23/2019 at 10:03 am

I’m not a morning person but when I get up early, I finish a lot of tasks. I guess it’s also about prioritization and checklist!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/23/2019 at 3:55 pm

Yeah it is all about getting up early for a reason! Waking up early in the morning for no reason won’t prove to be beneficial!

8. Joanna Clute on 04/23/2019 at 3:01 pm

I love rising and shining. I get so much more work done in the day.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/24/2019 at 9:54 am

I love the way you said that! “Rising and Shining” that’s awesome!

9. Tiffany La Forge-Grau on 04/23/2019 at 3:02 pm

I have always been an early bird. sleeping in is great, but I always regret it!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/24/2019 at 9:55 am

I always regret it when I sleep in too!!

10. Heather on 04/24/2019 at 12:13 am

I actually really love waking up early because i get some me time to start my day. Thanks for sharing!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/24/2019 at 9:56 am

The time to yourself in the mornings is really the best!!

11. Elicitfolio on 04/24/2019 at 8:36 am

I used to be an early bird, but lately I’ve developed some bad habits of staying up late! Your article really motivated me to get back on my routine! Thanks for sharing!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/24/2019 at 10:05 am

Good luck getting back into your routine! Thanks for reading!

12. Kimberly Leatherwood on 04/24/2019 at 9:09 am

I love getting up early. I like to go outside and just sit in nature for a while to get my thoughts in order and relax before starting my day! Great read!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/24/2019 at 10:05 am

Sitting in nature never crossed my mind! I may implement that into my routine!

13. Kate Murray on 04/24/2019 at 12:34 pm

Waking up at 5 am is rough…haha…4 seriously feels like it could still be the middle of the night!!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/25/2019 at 8:31 pm

Lol right?! But I hear it’s super beneficial!

14. LaTisha on 04/24/2019 at 5:45 pm

AHH, I need to do this! I woke up early one day and that whole day was fantastic!! I just can’t seem to keep it going. I will be giving the whole wake up thing another go around.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/25/2019 at 8:32 pm

Definitely should! Hope it works out!

15. Michelle on 04/25/2019 at 8:14 am

I would really love to be a morning person, even after having 4 kids it’s still such an effort. I thought if anything would force it upon me it would be kids. I’m starting to think I should just force myself to set my alarm. Thanks for this post and good on u, ur doing a fantastic job xx

• cherishingflo101 on 04/25/2019 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much for this comment. Being a morning person SAVED MY LIFE

16. DeShena @ ExtravagantlyBroke.com on 04/25/2019 at 8:21 pm

Hi,
    I am not typically an early morning person, but I do notice that when I do get up early I get more things done. And it does give you time to think and center yourself without distractions. Guess I’ll just have to retrain my brain to start waking up earlier!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/25/2019 at 8:34 pm

It’s definitely training! Lol so I feel it!