10 Morning Habits That MUST GO!

I have been ALL about that morning girl life lately. I posted a couple of week’s ago the morning routine I have started implementing for success. You guys seemed to really enjoy that so then I decided to do this blog post about things that I ELIMINATED from my morning routine in order to be more successful and FEEL BETTER each morning.

You will very likely find something on this list that you are probably doing every morning and need to get rid of the habit. So be sure to leave in the comments what on the list you need to throw out the window!

10 Morning Habits That MUST GO!

1. Hitting your snooze button on your alarm. I feel like whoever created the snooze button was just an enabler for all of lazy people and for people who are not morning people. It is literally just an excuse to go back to sleep for another 10 minutes. It actually just makes you more irritable and often rushed when you do finally get yourself up. An alarm is an annoying sound that disrupts your sleep. Imagine what that is doing to your mood to force yourself to hear it multiple times in the morning. Stop it. Just get up.
  2. Checking your phone as soon as you wake up. Here is the only thing that worked to get me to stop doing this. I was watching an Amy Landino video on YouTube and she pointed something out: Why would the first thing you do when you wake up is give your time, thoughts, and energy to someone else before giving anything to yourself? I mean think about it. You wake up and let other people decide what your first thoughts in the mornings are going to be and a lot of the time they aren’t positive thoughts. Instead, meditate. Pray. Do some exercise. Do some affirmations to start your day however it is that YOU want to start it with the mindset that YOU chose for yourself. It was a hard habit to start but it honestly was one of the most liberating habits to get rid of.
  3. Watching/reading the news. This is bad for the same reasons as number 2. It does not help anyone for you to start your day listening to news and frustrating stories. Politics never puts anyone in a good mood, does it? Hearing about what wrongs were done in the world when you’re mind is still trying to decide what kind of mood you will be in is NOT the best idea. These things can greatly impact our mood. You need to make sure that YOU have decided how you’re going to feel for the day before you go filling your mind with the world’s negatives.
  4. Skipping breakfast. I used to be the QUEEN of skipping breakfast. I was never hungry in the mornings so I would just wait until lunch when I am starving. In actuality, this starts your day with no fuel and no energy. It also is a big part of the reason why some of us have that midday fatigue going on. I am not saying have huge meals and I am also not saying it has to be the first thing you do in the morning but you should definitely include nourishing yourself into your morning routine.
  5. Not stretching. My boyfriend put me on to this. I used to complain about headaches, back problems, and many other things and he started asking me if I stretched in the mornings. I said no. I don’t know why this habit is so difficult to actually want to get started. It doesn’t take too much time, but there is a HUGE benefit to it. You your tense joints and muscles. You create space in your neck. Once I started doing it, I got much fewer headaches and my back pains decreased significantly. It is energizing and all around healthy for your body. Now, I do yoga daily because it helps with both my physical and mental health. However, if yoga is not for you, at least start touching your toes and doing your regular morning stretches to help rejuvenate you in the mornings.
  6. Not starting your day with water. HYDRATE BEFORE YOU DIE-DRATE. Drinking water has multiple benefits for your health. You feel more refreshed. It helps wake you up and get you more alert. Water release your body of toxins early in the morning. It fuels your BRAIN. I mean… the benefits of water in the morning just go on and on. Drinking water in the morning helps me FEEL like I have it together and that’s one of my personal favorite benefits right there. Plus, I always feel more energized after having some nice, cold, water.
  7. Waking up with only enough time to get ready for work. I cannot say this enough. I should have made it number one. How can you have a productive and relaxing morning routine that starts your day off right if you wake up with time to do nothing but shower, get dressed, and go? My advice would be to wake up at least an hour and a half to two hours before you have to start getting dressed. Why? You need time to be with just you in the mornings. You want to be able to go through a morning routine for SUCCESS without having to rush through it at the same time. Your mornings are so vital and important because they give you the opportunity to start your day YOUR way. You can work on a side hustle and start creating more income or an independent life without a 9-5 (tis what I do). You could exercise and get your health together. Or you could simply just have some alone time before your kids wake up for school. But that last minute waking up thing does NOTHING for you.
  8. Waiting until the morning to figure out what you’re going to wear. I talk about this a bit more in my productive night routine post, but you really should pick out your clothes the night before. It is a waste of time. From experience, I tend to take more time in the morning trying to decide what I am going to wear than at night when I am trying to pick things out. Have your clothes already picked out and laid out on your bed or dresser so all you have to worry about is putting them on.
  9. Not making up your bed. This is what I discovered about making up your bed and why it is a good idea. One: it forces you to do something productive in the morning and that will help you wake up and get your day started. Two: when you wake up in the morning and make up your bed and see it look all nice and together, you’re less likely to want to get in it and mess up the job you just did. At least that is how it is for me. I tend to take myself to another room just to avoid sitting on my beautifully made up bed. This doesn’t work when my boyfriend is home because I always wake up before he does but if I make him make up the bed when he gets up it has a similar impact on him as well! Make up your bed people. It changes lives.
  10. Dreading your work day. As I said a couple times in this post already, YOU decide how your day is going to go. If you tell yourself work is going to suck, it will. You have to start getting excited to be the best you each day. You have to start speaking life into your work day and mentally prepare yourself not to deal with BS but to have a great day regardless of BS. Stop sitting and wishing you didn’t have to work and think about when you wish you had a job. Think about the fact that your job is financing your passion. That’s where your mindset needs to be. Starting your day with negative thoughts starts your day with negative energy. So this MUST GO.

Now I know there was SOMETHING on this list that you probably shouldn’t be doing and do every single morning. What on this list do you think you need to get rid of? Are there any additional morning habits you think you could add to this list? Share your thoughts down below!

I love you CherishingFlo fam!

36 Comments

1. Snehal on 04/15/2019 at 10:40 am

I never skip my breakfast it is very important no one should skip breakfast. And I really wonder why we even have that snooze button!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 11:14 am

Right?! Like that snooze is there for what? The alarm is SUPPOSED to get us up so why place a button for us NOT to do that lol

2. jaye shields on 04/15/2019 at 11:10 am

I’m definitely guilty of not drinking water in the morning because I probably drink at least three cups of coffee instead. I never make my bed either though and I don’t see that changing lol I’m just not functional enough in the Ams, especially when it’s dark. When I leave for work, sometimes it’s around 3 am. No thanks.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 11:15 am

Lol well yeah I guess when you don’t get off work til 3AM it can impact how your mornings go pretty heavily! But adding some water drinking to your mornings might be beneficial!!?

3. Subhashish Roy on 04/15/2019 at 12:48 pm

I don’t do any of these except that the first thing I do is look at my mobile. So from tomorrow that’s out of the window. Thanks for motivating 😊

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 1:38 pm

So awesome I was able to help! I hope it has a great impact on how your mornings go!

4. BestieTalks on 04/15/2019 at 3:14 pm

Truth!! All of it!! I start my morning with a big ass glass of water and resist from looking at my phone until mid morning! Great tips girl!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 8:10 pm

Isn’t morning water so refreshing? Thanks for reading!

5. Elizabeth | Tired Mom Supermom on 04/15/2019 at 4:08 pm

I hate breakfast! Food in general…so I always skip it. But I always take time to drink a hot cup of tea before the crazy starts.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 8:10 pm

Well taking time out for yourself is always a plus!

6. Nancy Davies on 04/15/2019 at 5:32 pm

Mmmm, must start doing the stretches!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 8:11 pm

Yes they are definitely a great way to start the day!

7. Chavonne H on 04/15/2019 at 5:34 pm

I seem to have a lot of these bad habits except that I am constantly drinking water throughout the day and night and I don’t dread my day. But everything else yes lol.
    A huge issue for me is looking at my phone and reading the news. For some unknown reason I feel compelled to do it even in the middle of the night and it completely interrupts my sleep. Besides that my other goal is to go to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. That will really improve my day.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/15/2019 at 8:13 pm

Thats a good goal to have! Try taking it one step at a time!

8. Laura on 04/16/2019 at 5:50 am

I am THE worst for hitting the snooze button and leaving myself barely a second to spare before I have to go to work. It does really stress you out!

Laura ☆ http://www.laurahasablog.co.uk

• cherishingflo101 on 04/16/2019 at 10:22 am

Yeah that used to be one of my BIGGEST issues too!

9. Audrey on 04/16/2019 at 10:07 am

I do agree with you on the snooze button! That is one I want to work on. My phone doesn’t stay in my room at night while we sleep. These are great tips.

• cherishingflo101 on 04/16/2019 at 10:22 am

It’s good your phone doesn’t stay in your room when you’re sleeping! That definitely eliminates a lot of problems!

10. Brianne Tursi Manz on 04/16/2019 at 11:56 am

I definitely need to move my phone out of my room! I use it as my alarm clock though 🙂 I’m amazed at the difference it’s made for you, just by simply removing these habits!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/16/2019 at 3:43 pm

Set your alarm and then place your phone on the other side of your room! I have a few clients who that has worked for!

11. kristin on 04/16/2019 at 12:09 pm

Great list! I totally agree! Keeping the phone out of the room is something I require of my kiddos! Great tips!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/16/2019 at 3:44 pm

Oh that’s a great habit to have them starting that so young! Thanks for reading 🙂

12. Porsha carr on 04/16/2019 at 5:15 pm

Theses are great tips although I don’t think I cannot check my phone. Since I work from home I check it alot

• cherishingflo101 on 04/17/2019 at 12:48 pm

I work from home! And I don’t mean NEVER check your phone but like doing it when you first wake up when doing your morning routine, work should be the last thing you get started on if that makes sense?

13. Jessica Hughes on 04/16/2019 at 6:48 pm

Love the idea of working on yourself first thing in the morning! Never thought about it like that before!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/17/2019 at 12:48 pm

It helps you fall in love with mornings because that’s you time!

14. Heather on 04/17/2019 at 1:53 am

These are great! I need to pay attention to these and not do them in the morning!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/17/2019 at 12:50 pm

It takes time sometimes to develop these kind of habits!

15. Kate Murray on 04/17/2019 at 10:43 am

Watching or reading the news!!!! I totally do this, and you’re so right, it can be a huge time suck!! Great article!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/17/2019 at 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for reading!! Glad you enjoy!

16. DeShena @ ExtravagantlyBroke.com on 04/18/2019 at 2:37 pm

Hi,

According to this list, my morning habits are pretty good. All except that I have definitely been guilty of waiting until the last minute to get up. So of course, I was always rushing. And that does have a negative impact on your mentality and the start of your day. Now, I work from home. I still wait until the last minute but at least I don’t have to get dressed or go anywhere, lol!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/19/2019 at 11:38 am

I completely understand! I still every now and again wake up last minute. It’s a bad way to start your day but it can be frustrating trying to force yourself up in the mornings. It’s awesome you at least work from home and don’t have to go someplace to see people lol

17. Veronica on 04/19/2019 at 2:46 pm

So so true! I always forget to drink some water right after waking up even though I know I feel a lot better and more awake after doing that!
    Love this post, thanks for sharing!

• cherishingflo101 on 04/19/2019 at 8:13 pm

Yesss morning water is sooo refreshing! Thanks so much for reading!

18. iknowwhattowrite.blogspot.com on 04/20/2019 at 4:39 pm

constantly i used to read smaller articles that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this piece of
    writing which I am reading at this place.

19. haircut knowing on 04/22/2019 at 6:02 pm

It’s very simple to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this piece of
    writing at this web site.